Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscars and Beyond

My sister got married last year and afterward, she described a condition wherein new brides have a post-partum-like depressive period when all the pomp and circumstance is over. I think now that the Oscars and Super Bowl and football season and holidays are all said and done, I may enter that same blue time myself. But, before I go, one more post to honor this most wonderful time of year!

So, the Oscar producers certainly mixed it up. They veered away from the traditional order of business and handed out the awards in a totally different sequence. All I could think was, "What if nominees, as I would if I were there, counted on that same-old order and went to the bar to get a drink and missed their category completely? Do you think someone warned them beforehand? I hope so!"

They tinkered with the stage and props, added a bunch of bells and whistles, and poked a lot more fun at Hollywood than usual. I can hear the rumblings from staunch purists (like, me!) But, although change is sometimes hard, by the end I decided I liked most of them (though not all.) This morning, I see online that many of my favorite parts are everyone else's pet peeves. Go figure.

But, most importantly, the winners! I personally adored the five past actors giving little speeches to the nominees, in place of the tired old film clips. It might not be for everyone, but it touched me to see true emotion on the nervous nominees' faces when honored by acting legends like that.

Penelope Cruz's win for Best Supporting Actress - not surprising, but satisfying. Heath Ledger's family certainly spoke with heart and emotion, and though I was prepared for that moment, it still left me teary-eyed. Kate Winslet finally made it to the podium and her bit about practiced speeches in front of her bathroom mirror really hit home for me. (I am guilty of such tricks to this day!) And Sean Penn? Awesome, deserved, funny, humble (for him) and lovely. A terrific and important moment.

"Slumdog Millionaire" really had its moments, and props must go out to all involved in the film. (For a minute there, it seemed all of India might join them onstage to accept the big prize!) My personal favorite: all those little kids. If you've seen the movie (and now, you all have no excuse not to!) you know the importance those children play and how precious their cinematic performances. It tickled me to see them recognized, almost as much as Danny Boyle's shout-out to Tigger! My love for him shot up tremendously in that moment, as we both apparently hold great affinity for Winnie the Pooh.

I don't know if next year's telecast will return to the more traditional version or not. It would be nice to see them incorporate some of the best ideas from last night's show and move toward more innovation. Regardless, I can take a small break from super manic movie-watching and go back to my normal habit of just plain old movie mania.

In closing, this year was most satisfying, even though my fave film did not win. I can't take a thing away from "Slumdog Millionaire" because it really is a great story. So, another year down and another new crop of movies on the horizon. Before we totally move on, just a couple personal highlights of mine:

**I loved when "Man On Wire" balanced that Oscar on his nose and did a magic trick! But my first thought as he ran up there, when I saw his eyes glance skyward? "Oh my gosh, dude's going to climb something!" (Hee!)
**Seth Rogan and James Franco in the "Pineapple Express" bit about the alleged comedies? Brilliant, especially when they showed the "Milk" kissing scene. That truly was laugh-out-loud funny. (And a reminder that James Franco got seriously snubbed.)
**Hugh Jackman did an opening song! I had resigned myself to only having that luxury when Billy Crystal hosted. As soon as it ended, I thought to myself (and said aloud to my husband), "I must learn that!" (And for those who don't know, my sister and I can sing all Billy Crystal's little parodies from each year, on cue, anytime you ask us. Add this one to the list - give me a day or two.)

So, that's it. I guess my Oscar posts have come to an end. Boo-hoo. On the other hand, it's never too early to start prepping for next year! Yay for art and flim and acting and great perfomances and movie stars! (And, in passing, yay for whoever coined the phrase "Angeloony" in description of those, like me, completely infatuated with Angelina Jolie. That is just too good - as is she.)

See ya next time!

2 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...

Angeloony, huh? Have to remember that one. I guess I can add it to my list: Trekkie, Angeloony, Crazy Cat Lady... :-)

I also hope they keep the way they introduced the nominees in the acting categories. I really liked that touch. And it seemed to go over real well.

And what's not to like about Hugh Jackman singing and dancing? He was marvelous. That opening number was so funny. (I recorded the show since I didn't know how long I would actually stay up, and I'm seriously thinking about keeping it. Crazy Awards Show Lady, maybe?)

Susan M. Bell said...

Hey, do you like Oscar trivia? Here's one for you. Actor Dermot Mulroney played cello in the Academy Awards Orchestra.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.