Sunday, February 15, 2009

Oscar Watch 10.0

A week from today, the Oscar race will be over and the statuettes awarded. I'm almost prepared to start preliminary predictions. Still, there are a few performances of which I haven't yet written. One in particular will transcend the movie and nomination and analyze all that the Oscars really mean to me: Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight."

It's been a year since Heath Ledger's tragic death. I have yet to totally believe it's real. I know I had no personal relationship with the actor, but his work onscreen feels so meaningful, so heartfelt. Like so many others, he impacted my life with his talent and will forever be missed. Perhaps that is why it's difficult to talk about him and his likely sure-lock to win.

"The Dark Knight" certainly lays claim to being the year's most popular movie. I recently rewatched it and, honestly, it's a fine piece of filmmaking. But it is Heath Ledger's Joker who makes it sizzle. Christopher Nolan fashioned a fine new Batman in "Batman Begins" and you will never hear an argument from me when Christian Bale is cast as the lead. (Though, given recent events, you may hear an argument from him...)

But let's be honest: there was no Oscar buzz for "Batman Begins" and rightfully so. I think "The Dark Knight" draws its strength from Heath Ledger in such a powerful way, he infuses himself into every ounce of that movie, whether or not he is actually onscreen.

For those reasons, I believe his nomination is deserved and the right place in which to honor this picture. I can feel the criticism bubble around me, as I know many feel passionately that this movie should be nominated in the prestigious categories, too. But, honestly, if not for Heath Ledger, this is a great summer popcorn flick that rakes in a bunch of cash. And it's well-done. But it is not the art film it is in its current form. Heath Ledger rises above and beyond what anyone could have expected from him, and in turn raises the bar for this picture. Plain and simple, Heath Ledger makes "The Dark Knight."

I'm sure he will win the Oscar next week. It saddens me because he should be here to accept and bask in that moment, although from what I've read about him, he would likely be quite uncomfortable in that sort of spotlight. In actuality, this whole thing highlights a major flaw in the Academy Awards. (Not the only one, mind you - I have a whole post planned for my biggest Oscar pet peeves and why, though I love the Oscars, about half the time I highly disagree with the Academy's selections.)

Heath Ledger should have died an Oscar winner, for his gut-wrenching turn in "Brokeback Mountain." Now, I love Philip Seymour Hoffman and "Capote" showcased his brilliance, but he should not have beaten Heath Ledger for Best Actor. The "Brokeback Mountain" year still has me incredibly miffed. If you ever want a spirited discussion wherein I turn red with disgust, ask me sometime about "Crash" winning Best Picture that year. Total travesty...

Regardless, I know the ways of the Academy. Sometimes, youngsters don't win for the most-deserving nomination because there is someone else that year who, for a myriad of reasons, will win instead. It's political, plain and simple. It drives me nuts because I am a purist in most every area and especially in this one. If you turn in the best performance in a year, you should win. I don't think it should matter whether your competitors previously lost and now need the "make-up" win. I don't care if the Academy feels you must "pay your dues" or "have time" to win later. (A rule that the Academy only follows in certain cases and other times throws right out the window when someone, you know, deserves to win!)

I don't know what the Academy as a whole thought when they cast their ballots that year - or any year. But, Heath Ledger had that buzz about him - he was great, he was destined for big things, and he'd probably win an Oscar or two or three in his time. "Brokeback Mountain" apparently was not his time.

And then, his time ended. Yes, it stings when people die prematurely and no, no one could really predict that coming. But it just shows how fragile it all is. Anyone can go at any time. Thus, in my opinion, you should be rewarded when what you've done deserves the prize. (And believe me, I have thought that he lost that Oscar fair and square because the voters belived Hoffman's work better. But, frankly, I don't buy it.) You should not have to wait because no one, not even famous, talented movie stars, is guaranteed time on this Earth to fulfill a destiny.

So, unless something completely nuts happens, Heath Ledger will be an Oscar winner next week. And he deserves it. Is he the best this year? Well, it is debatable - but hardly worth the time because I don't see a scenario wherein he does not win. And I'm not angry about that, and would not be even if he were alive and well.

It is a bummer, though, that he is not alive and well. His last performance will eerily live on as his legacy. Real life is not fair, you know. And apparently, neither is life onscreen.

3 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...

I agree with you all the way. Good example of the "politics" of the Oscars: Paul Newman won for The Color of Money, a performance even he said did not deserve the Oscar. It just shows that the voters often look at a person and say "Hey, he has done such great work in the past, it's time we gave him this." And Crash beating out Brokeback Mountain? I'm betting those behind the winning movie were stunned by that one.

Heath deserved the Oscar for Brokeback, and he deserves it for The Dark Knight as well. If for some odd reason he doesn't win it this time, there will be a huge uproar I'm sure.

Just an aside: his actually wasn't his final performance. He was filming The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus when he died, and it is supposed to be released in September. It sounds like it's going to be an odd and interesting movie.

Stephanie Stark Poling said...

You are right that this technically was not his last performance, but that other film was not finished when Heath died and so, I should correct myself to say this is his last complete performance on film!! Thanks for the comment!

Susan M. Bell said...

As a law person, you know how those technicalities can get you. ;-)

I really wonder how the Dr. Parnassus movie is going to do when it comes out. Sounds kind of interesting and yet odd at the same time.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.