Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Did You Ever Notice?

Randomly, and with no particular point to be made, things I've noticed and/or learned in this new year:

**Mitch Berger, the Steelers' punter, deserves an Academy Award for this on-field theatrics - maybe "Best Flop" for his performance in the AFC Championship game. (Not that you'll hear any complaints from Steeler Nation, mind you. I"m just saying...)

**People can be mighty righteous. See Exhibit A: Michael Phelps and a bong hit. Come on, now - he's a twenty-something-year-old kid at a college party who smoked some pot. Half the folks ready to lynch him as a "bad example" probably smoked their fair share in college, and the other half wishes they had. Some of them might even roll a fat one now and again, on weekends away from the family when they re-live the freedom of irresponsibility. (I, for one, am suspect of anyone who did not get high in college.) Michael Phelps is a super-talented millionaire who took a bong hit. It's not like he toked up pool side in Beijing, for crying out loud. I'm ready to boycott Kellogg's for their dropping him as a sponsor. Don't we collectively as a country have bigger things on our plate than a little bit of weed? Seriously...

**We're supposedly in a recession, but I still can't get out of Target without waiting in line while shoppers in front of me buy necessities like new 300-thread-count sheets, bottled water, and dog toys. I'm not criticizing, just noticing. (I myself can't seem to check-out without spending at least a hundred bucks, so no stones thrown by me.)

**There are those walking among us who buy into infomercials. In fact, one such person sleeps next to me at night. Say it isn't so! But I recently read an online article about the Snuggie - you know, blanket with arm-holes - and its influence on pop culture. (My favorite part of the advertisement is when the family all dons their respective Snuggies to keep warm at a sporting event - they look like wizards ala Harry Potter and company at a Quiddich match! Priceless.) I guess even when times are bad, folks can scrounge $19.99 for a ShamWow. Those genius marketers know what they are doing! Good to know.

So, wisdom comes in odd packages. Like the ShamWow spokesman says in his other masterpiece campaign for the SlapChop, "Linguine, Fettuccini, Martini, Bikini!" (That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I just find it hysterical and will quote it whenever I get the chance, no matter the situation.)

Words to live by, my friends. Keep your eyes open in this wacky world - there is no telling what you'll see!

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

OK, have some comments for you today.

First, can't comment on the Steelers thing since I don't follow them, or football in general.

Second, I couldn't agree more about the Michael Phelps thing. People really need to get over it. Oh, and check this out: http://www.petitiononline.com/Kellogg/petition.html. You'll love it.

Third, I've noticed the same stuff at Wal-Mart. Looks to me like we're all still spending like crazy...me included. If I leave Wally World without spending at least $100, I've obviously forgotten something.

Fourth, oh those infomercials. I loved that quote from the Sham Wow/chopper guy the first time I heard it. How funny. And as for the Snuggie, do y'all have one yet? And here's another comparison for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s. This is a snippet from the Star Wars Holiday Special in 1978. Check out what the Wookies are wearing, and tell me if it doesn't look like a bunch of Snuggies. (Oh, and Carrie Fisher singing is a hoot. I think she may have partied like she was Michael Phelps right before this was filmed.) :-)

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.