Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love, Love, Love...

Isn't it weird that Valentine's Day this year comes on the heels of Friday the 13th? Or is it just appropriate? I mean, I love Valentine's Day, mostly because it is all pink and hearts and smiles and hugs. But let's be real about it: it's a Hallmark holiday, made up for consumerism. Today, beleagured men line up to buy overpriced flowers and jewelry to show how much they "love" their partners.

I've never really been too much about the material gifts, though in my younger days I can admit I fell victim to the enormous pressure to make this day count. I've received some pretty nice things over the years from various suitors, some expensive and some just thoughtful. Not all of them meant true love. In some cases, no real emotions were involved whatsoever. So be it. I'm sure it was fun while it lasted!

Some of my best V-Day memories involve my girlfriends at our favorite bar, dancing the night away with the rest of the lonely singles. And that's okay too. Love, for me, has always included both the romantic and the platonic and each is most important in its own way.

This year, we've decided against the traditional celebration. In meager college years, this day equalled an excuse for a fancy dinner out. Sometimes, this day has been roses and lobster dinners at home. Last year, it was an extravagant trip to Las Vegas, with Cirque du Soleil and gourmet eats. (It has also been long lines in restaurants where the very next day, you can eat the same food without waiting a minute. Long gone is the insanity of that!)

Now, we are going with pizza and an evening of "The Princess Bride" - my all-time absolute favorite film ever, inspiration for a fairy tale life of love if ever one existed. We will curl up with the dogs and then eat chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream and just be together. Not much different from other nights, really, because as you get older, that is what love...is.

Happy Valentine's Day to one and all. No matter the celebration you choose, may this day of love be filled with just that in all its treasured forms.

2 comments:

susanbellnc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan M. Bell said...

I agree with you about V-Day. Chris was so worried about not being able to do anything for me today, and I had to convince him that this isn't that big of a day to me any more. We tell and show each other how much we love each other all through the year. There's no need for another "special" day for that. It's more romantic when you do something for each other on days when it's not expected...and like you say, when the lines aren't so long. :-)

BTW: Princess Bride is Chris' all-time favorite move as well. He knows the whole thing word for word and often quotes it. He's such a romantic at heart.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.