Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oscar Watch 8.0

Oscar night draws gleefully nigh. (Don't you just love the word "nigh" in modern times - or is it just me?) I am excited and ready. There are few performances I must catch before the big night and luckily, they will bow on DVD prior to Sunday, February 22nd. (Melissa Leo in "Frozen River" and Angelina Jolie in "Changeling" for starters.)

Sadly, I must do without a few films as well. "Revolutionary Road" and its nominated supporting actor Michael Shannon never fit my schedule and, most disappointing of all, I will miss Anne Hathaway's leading performance in "Rachel Getting Married." I so wanted to see that latter film, but it just slipped away from the theaters too quickly.

But I won't dwell on the negative! Next up for review is a small, impressive film you could rent on DVD right now, today - "The Visitor." Its star, Richard Jenkins, is nominated for Best Actor. He himself describes his chances to win as, "Please. I have no chance." But, regardless of that, this movie is well worth the watch, especially since this type of film often does not get the audience it deserves. (And on a side note, any film which can motivate me to think about possibly going back to the practice of law is quite an achievement! That in itself should win some kind of award!)

This movie touches on many social, relevant issues - our country's over-zealous immigration laws, right versus wrong, love and loss. Richard Jenkins is the type of actor who plays in numerous films, but is kind of nameless - like, you'll recognize him as "that guy who was the dad in 'Step-Brothers'" or something like that. He really marvels here in a touching, warm-hearted portrayal of a middle-aged widower who accidentally discovers he can still feel passion for people and life.

Sometimes, I truly prefer these small movies. And sometimes, I will admit, I long for the ditzy Hollywood ending because the realism hurts my heart too much. This is not a "feel-good" film. It's depressing, though humor slides in at many turns. It is, however, worth your time. I hope Richard Jenkins can transform this into some more starring turns. He is very, very good.

"The Visitor" likely won't win anything on Oscar night. But the attention it's garnered with its nominations surely won it a few more viewers. And that is the realy beauty of the Academy Awards.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.