Monday, November 24, 2008

Get Down With Your Bad Self

You know how "they" always like to say things like, "Well, things are never black and white, my dear" and you cringe because it is so cliche? Well, it's true. And as much as I hate to admit it, we'd probably all do better to remember the world works in various shades of gray.

We are all tempted to parcel everything out - you to the "good" column, you over here to the "evil." No exceptions, no negotiations. Right vs. wrong, positive or negative, everything has its place and a place for everything. I suppose some succeed in their own minds at this impossible task, though in reality, it's simply inconceivable to look at the world this way.

For the past five years or so, I've been involved in the court system. More specifically, I work with the criminals. Some of that time, I worked putting them away. Other times I helped spring them free. Now, I sit squarely in the middle, striving only to help when I can and taking no firm position. Yes, most would think the criminal courts provide some vindication because if you commit a crime, you're bad, right?

Except not always. And it's frustrating (and only somewhat depressing) to see horrible judgement calls from otherwise quite likable folks. These people are often a lot like me and even you - and are certainly similar to scores of people I have known in my life, except they've been caught in their crimes while other criminals roam free, untouched.

Sometimes luck is the only thing standing between prison and freedom. It certainly doesn't stand up to reason that everyone on the street is living a crime-free life. In fact, most people in your own day-to-day routine are guilty of a crime for which they have legally skated by any consequence.

Because having not been arrested does not mean you are automatically a stand-up citizen. And doing a bad thing does not always make you an overall bad person.

Sometimes, I wish it did. It would make my job a whole lot easier on the soul.

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

Amen, sister.

When I worked in the prison system, one of the first things I was told by a long-time employee was that she didn't worry so much about the ones behind those walls. It's the ones on the outside you really had to worry about. When you walk through those prison doors, for the most part, you know who/what you are facing. On the streets, you never know. Like you said, if only being on the outside meant you were a perfect citizen, and being on the inside meant you absolutely weren't...yes, it would be so much easier.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.