Thursday, November 6, 2008

Best Week Ever!

As weeks go, this one went pretty darn great. If I look back seven days from today, it's pretty scary how many great moments I experienced, not really knowing when I began how wonderful it would turn to be. In the tradition of our instantaneous culture, where yesterday's news is not too new to analyze historically, I shall partake for my own sake. (And make a little rhyme, too!)

I showed up to my sister's house last Thursday night and we got to spend some treasured and rare time together. We stayed up late and talked over the finer plot points of the movie "Atonement" while repeating our disdain that the Oscar went to "No Country For Old Men" (a terrific flick, don't get me wrong) over "There Will Be Blood" (infinitely better on so many levels) while we also mentioned the striking similarities between Bob from "Twin Peaks" and Randall Flagg from "The Stand." This might sound like the most boring way to spend an evening, unless you are us.

On Friday, we traveled to our "home-home" where we visited the parents, celebrated my sister's birthday, and then took the 'rents to dinner to belatedly celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary. We surprised them with a trip to Atlantic City and they were sufficiently shocked as we had hoped they would be.

Saturday brought a Mountaineer win (big time!) and a Michigan loss (ha-ha) and even an overtime thriller where Pitt pulled it out. Now, I know as a WVU fan I must hate Pitt - and I do - but in a "lesser of two evils" scenario, where Pitt played Notre Dame (oh, the hatred runs deep...) I had to pull for Pitt. Don't shoot me, as I did grow up an hour from the 'Burgh and followed my heart to WVU and deplore Penn State...I had to root the way I did. Notre Dame must go down when possible, especially when WVU becomes bowl eligible on the same day Michigan loses its own eligibilty for the first time in thirty-plus years.

Sunday brought more family time and Monday night I relished in an important Steelers win against the Redskins - what a show! In any other week, that alone might have been enough to send me over the gleeful edge, but on Tuesday, our fine country elected a fine new president. The week literally could not have been better. (Unless I win the West Virginia PowerBall - then, it really could!)

Sometimes, this strange cycle of ups and downs does shift your way. I realize not everyone had such a fine week, that some perceptions of the very same events lead some people to the depths of despair. I myself have been there (oh, about four years ago...) My joy is tempered with this understanding and I can sympathize.

But I will not apologize for the happiness I feel. I just can't, even if I wanted to do so. The world looks a bit brighter for these days and I will bask in such glow for a little while at least. Not everyone gets a week like this one and I may never see another.

And I am thankful.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.