Thursday, October 2, 2008

Stress-Sanity

What a stressful week it's been. Never mind the Steelers' inability to put the Monday Night Football game away in a reasonable fashion, forcing an overtime they just didn't need before the match-up in nasty Jacksonville on Sunday night.

Put aside the fact that the Project Runway judges found it somehow reasonable to keep whiny, disrespectful Kenly on my television screen yet one more week (which I hope is the last week of her, though I know better.) And don't get me started on Desperate Housewives - how intrigued I am by this brand new mystery, which I can't keep track of already and it's only been one episode!

Sure, the country is in financial ruin, we don't have any gasoline in this part of the country, and my own personal household has weathered several emotional storms the past few days - and it isn't even Friday yet. I find it nearly impossible to keep track of what makes me anxious half the time, since it could be one of about fifty things I may or may not have made up in my head.

Such is my nemesis in this world: the mangled idea of danger around every turn. I have learned to keep this at bay much of the time - or, at least, hide it in the attempt to "fake it until you make it." I am a walking contradiction: happy, fun, lively, and wrought with anxious paralysis.

I try to take this insight and turn it into the way to help myself - accentuate the positive and downplay the problem areas (as Tim Gunn might advise.) This will not be fixed in a day, but for today, it's my mantra.

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

Stress seems to always be around the next corner - ready to jump out and attack you at the worst possible time. As they say (whomever they are), "This too shall pass."

"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe."
-Dalai Lama-

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.