Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jinx, Shminx

Do you believe in jinxes and superstition? Do you make wishes at 11:11, eyes closed in deep thought? Or do you believe all this is a bunch of hooey?

Logically, I understand I can't change the world based upon the clothing I choose. However, if you heard a story about a girl who wore a particular Steelers fleece sweatshirt last year for the AFC Wild Card game aganist the Jaguars (which we lost) and who then did not wear that fleece again until Sunday for the match-up with the Giants (yep, another loss) would you think the fleece sweatshirt was cursed? Or merely a cooincidental theme?

It might sound crazy, but today when I went to vote (which we can do early here in NC) I put that fleece sweatshirt on and then debated whether I should wear it while I cast my ever-important vote. What if it really is cursed? Could I bring down the fate of the nation? I thought maybe I should just rip it off and wear something else.

But, I did not. My more rational belief process won out. While I do not fully trust our version of an "electoral system" I don't think my vote will matter more or less due to the clothes on my back.

Gosh, I hope it turns out my way. Or I will forever blame myself and that fleece sweatshirt. As crazy as it sounds, I just can't help it. I don't want to have to wrangle with that idea for the rest of my life - never mind the opposite choice in office for the next four years.

But I'll think twice anyway before I wear it again on gameday. Old habits die hard, I guess - and with the Steelers, any little bit helps.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.