Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a White...Halloween?

It's freakin' freezing down here in the alleged "south." It snowed this morning and the wind is brutal - and all before Halloween. The multitudes of political signs on the roadside even remained snow-covered on my way into work! (I still know at which to wink and at which to scoff, though - I guess I've got them memorized at this point.)

I thought when I moved to North Carolina, the "Carolina" (which in my mind equals sandy beaches, sun, and seagulls) would somehow outweigh the "North" (i.e. snowy snow and snowflakes laced in snow.) But, I guess the mountainous terrain keeps us firmly planted in seasonal changes and days like this remind me more of gray cold Pennsylvania than southern skies.

When I first got here, I routinely became perturbed about this weather. Darn it, I moved south for a reason! But today, while I shivered due to my ridiculous outfit (what the hee was I thinking?) I actually appreciated what nature doled out.

Some gorgeous autumn leaves still hang on the trees, while the rest roll about on the frozen ground. While the temperature is Santa Claus, there are still pumpkins on porches and fall is in full effect. (I do feel a bit bad that Halloween costumes might need altered for this colder spell - boy did I hate having to put a sweater over a carefully calculated outfit for the annual parade. Gah!) The change might be a bit drastic, but it reminds of the shift in time, from summery greens to wintery nights, warmed by fire and love.

There are, of course, good things to be had in all times of the year. I don't think I really took that in as much in my past. In a way, it took this move south for me to truly appreciate all the good things colder days and nights provide.

It just can't be summer forever, you know...

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

In true Western NC form, it's supposed to be in the low 60's on Halloween. When we first moved up here in 1993, we were told the weather can change very quickly.

"If you don't like the weather, wait a minute," as the saying goes.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.