Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cheaters Never, You Know...

I have for some time now pondered whether to blog about my karmic view of the universe as it relates entirely to the sports world. This past NFL weekend gives me the perfectly ironic chance to do so.

Tom Brady injured his knee mere moments into the premiere contest and effectively knocked himself out of play for the rest of the season. It is always a sad thing to see injuries that end a player's time on the field, if only because the truest competitions are the ones where all the best people show up to make it a real game.

But really, aside from the die-hard New England fans and those poor souls who gleefully picked Tom Brady for their Fantasy Football teams (sorry Dad and Steve) I don't think too many folks cried in their icy-cold Budweisers on Sunday when it happened.

And mostly I think that's because the Patriots have sat upon their pedestal long enough. There is a lot to dislike there in my opinion - which, of course, is biased since I am a Steelers fan whose disappointments late in the playoffs have often been in direct relation to the success in Foxborough.

However, cheating allegations, "Spygate" if you will, cast a shadow down on the Pats that began to ruffle more than just those fans of rival sports clubs. Bill Belichick's blatant disregard, cloaked in a hoodie of denial, only compounded the issue as everyone pointed fingers and refused responsibility and knowledge. Such audacity to even suspect it, even with evidence!

It's easy to just dismiss it all with a sweep of the hand and a blithe statement about cheaters' chances of "winning" in the end. It's harder to reconcile within yourself what it means when prominent sports figures win championships, dance in confetti, rake in millions of dollars - and do it all as they allegedly bend the rules in their favor. The idea lingers unpleasantly in my palate and I try to hold onto my basic fundamentals of fairness.

Slowly, it began to come clearer. Early this year, the Patriots' perfect season ends in defeat at Eli Manning's once-shaky hands, shocking 99.9% of the media and throwing their fanboy love into question. Now, a few plays into a renewed quest for dynasty, perfection's poster boy collapses to the turf.

Is it karma -or just bad luck? Does it mean anything about behavior and consequences? Perhaps these notions simply make us feel better, the ebb and flow of what goes around and all that.

Perhaps, though, there is something to it. In my years of following sports teams, it does appear that karma plays a role in wins and losses, often to my personal dismay. In the "real world" I do believe that how I treat others eventually comes back to me. I have seen that happen when I least expect it.

Why should it be different with sports? It can take years to realize what you're due, but it usually does occur. One day you're up, the next you are not. This does not appear to be avoidable, no matter whether others hold you up as a deity, or you believe it yourself. All good things shall come to an end.

Just watch a few minutes of SportsCenter. You'll see.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.