Friday, August 15, 2008

Game On!

So, I basically don't sleep in my own bed anymore because the Olympics run into the wee hours of the morning, but that's okay. Just like the tremendous athletes, I make sacrifices for sport. (At least, in my case, for watching sport - as I am woefully horrible at participation.) Anyway, I often fall asleep on the couch in the middle of the coverage, only to have to startle awake and rewind on the DVR to catch up.

Not last night, though. Last night, I paced (quietly, so as not to wake Scott or the pups) as I anxiously watched Nastia Liukin (my personal favorite gymnast the past few years) and Shawn Johnson compete against the world and each other and the pitiful scoring system to make their dreams come true.

At times, it was so tense in my own little world, I hid in the hallway and peeked around the corner, through my fingers. This is a familiar routine - I have spent many football moments in the hallway, crawling the floor as I could not bear to watch. Luckily the gymnastics meet turned out in my favor. (The football games - can you say Pitt Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars? I thought as much...)

It is awesome every four years to relish a few weeks in the joy of athletic superstars dancing on the grandest world stage. Michael Phelps, with his carbed-up diet and bazillion gold medals and cute mom crying in the stands, never gets old for me. I watch those beach volleyball girls, with the shoulder tape and lost wedding ring and crazy consecutive winning record. I probably watched that men's 4x100 swimming relay about fifty times in complete disbelief. I adore the fluff pieces on hard childhoods and obstacles overcome. Heck, I watched the equestrian trials. And I liked it. (Question: How do you think the horses enjoy the plane flight across the world? And what does that cost? I'd even enjoy more fluff in the equestrian trials!)

It also makes me warm and fuzzy to think that in this crazy world, maybe we can all get along. My cynicism creeps in every now and then, but I try to stuff it down in the spirit of the games. I cheer on America, certainly for my favorites, but I also love to see how excited people get when winning a medal for their country's first time. That is good stuff.

So, only a little over a week before this all goes into hibernation for another four years. I'll enjoy it while I can. And when it's done, I'm sure my husband will have my side of the bed ready and waiting for my return.

Go Team!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.