Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brett Favre, Get Off My TV

This morning, I am innundated with stimuli and all of it rotates around Brett Favre. (For those non-sports lovers, bear with me as I rant - and get ready because football season is on the horizon and little will matter more here in about a month! And if you are a non-sports lover, well, my condolences...)

What the hee is wrong with Mr. Fav-ray? Make up your flippin' mind already, will ya? And now, he jumps ship to the Jets. All because, after years of threats (or promises, if you're on my side of that fence) he finally followed through with retirement, captivating headlines for weeks with his puss-face. He even edged out news of Big Ben's legendary $100 million Steelers contract - and now, he has the nerve to not simply go away (as he tearfully pledged) and is all over my TV yet again!

It occurs to me as I listen to all this, I'm most bothered by the waffling, the inability to make a choice and stick to it. This, cooincidently, is the same gripe I have about my husband. So, Brett Favre is the Scotty P. of the NFL! Now, that is something about which to think!

I take (sometimes) inordinate time to make a decision. When about to purchase a new pair of fairly-pricey shoes, I will at times leave them in the store for weeks as I silently ponder whether I need those shoes or not. (This is not the case with clearance items, which must be snatched up fervently, lest they end up in a rival shopper's closet - everyone knows this.) To paraphrase Alicia Silverstone's "Clueless" character, "Think about it. I'm that picky about my shoes - and they only go on my feet!"

But, really, what is so hard about a step back and a moment to consider before you announce your intentions, whether to your family - or the world? And what is so difficult about sticking to your guns once you decide which way those guns point?

Then again, that is my own view of the world and the way in which it should work. I know some of this comes from my internal need to have stability and consistency and to be able to count on what I am told will be the truth. Some people might not feel the same - clearly that is the case.
No matter. My husband's indecision is a minor drop in the bucket compared to all the glorious qualities he holds - and we have gotten to the point where it is a funny joke of sorts, which actually (believe it or not) has lessened it quite a bit!

Now, if only Brett Favre could learn the same lesson. I guess all we can collectively do is sit back and hope karma works its magic, whatever that may be. And, if you are anything like me, you can secretly hope Aaron Rodgers comes out like gangbusters in Green Bay.

Not that any of it matters. Everyone knows the only pigskin that's relevant is played on the shores of those three rivers in the 'Burgh. Even Scott is firm on that point!

1 comment:

Britt Kaufmann said...

Seriously. I lost so much respect for him in this past week.

And did you see the new running-back's first run for the Steelers?!? He injured the defensive player! Oh. He's found the right home!

heh heh heh

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.