Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August 5, 2000

Eight years ago today, I married my husband Scott and officially removed my "single girl" status. Everything about the day is clear in my mind and I could not have hoped for a more fabulous fairy tale. My dress, the party, our friends and family together in celebration - all pitch-perfect. (No doubt you'll find me today in the gown. After all, I am still a girl who loves frilly things and crowns!)

On those first few anniversaries, when things were all romance and flowers and cards, Scott and I danced and laughed and shared the sort of tender moments which are expected of "newlyweds." Lest I lead you astray, our marriage was hardly a walk in the proverbial park - but, we held eternal optimism of our bright future together. The anniversary was tinged with an expectation of Hallmark perfection and we tried desperately to deliver.

In the past few years, our lives have truly transformed, both as individuals and as a couple. We literally grew into a new version of our old selves - which took both practice and therapy in order to properly adjust!

And here we stand, eight years into this antiquated idea of "til death do us part." Greeting cards will appear today, a dinner out is planned, there may even be a gift or two. However, it's beyond that now, moved into the realm of comfortable contentment, and I am safe to say we are both good with that. The emphasis on simple, everyday affection is lovely. Today is only affirmation of that which we feel all days.

Beyond the ceremony in the ever-important wedding day is, of course, the marriage. As logical as this should be, it does tend to get lost sometimes in our culture of throw-away unions. While I will never judge the choices of others, I am happy to say I get it now, more than ever. It makes me glad to be loved in such a special way, to appreciate the struggle and reward that comes with sharing your life with another.

Happy Anniversary for sure!
(Now, off to try on the dress...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cheers, eight years seems like forever nowadays!

happy anniversary!

arlene,
Port Orchard florist

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.