Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Will You Please Shut Up?!

When considering the whole "blogging thing" I did not want to be that person who blogs just to put words on the page - I only wanted to write if I had something to contribute. I realize that is a pretty subjective standard, set by one who has always had a problem knowing exactly when to cease speaking. However, it is totally different when it comes to the written word...

In elementary school I recall getting shushed a lot for talking too much. I think a note to my mother read "too chatty at times." This has not changed a whole lot in the past 20-some years. Now, I can jabber on for hours, with only my husband for company. This pleases him to no end, let me tell you.

I identify a whole lot with Amy Adams' character in "Junebug" - flighty and talkative to anyone willing to lend an ear. We both sometimes are written off as silly, I think, because it may seem our priorities and outlook on the world are simple. We appear to be amused easily.

And I am amused easily, to an extent. However, just like Junebug, I find that all my talking is a ruse. Ironically, I keep most of the important stuff guarded pretty tightly. It's highly strategical what I allow you to hear. I am not good with saying the deep and meaningful. I am better with the light and breezy, the gossip, the pop culture.

But, I don't consider myself simple. There is a lot going on here, underneath that which I choose to say. (And I know that my words flow freely.) For the rest, the spoken word can't do justice to what I actually wish to get across, for the points I want to make, for the imprint of myself I long to leave behind.

For that, I have to write.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.