Sunday, April 27, 2008

Believe It - 'Cause It's For Real!

When I moved from West Virginia to North Carolina, I knew things were going to be different. I prepared for the differences in culture, in topography, in availability of Target stores in proximity to my house. I left myself unprepared for the bigger changes - the inner differences and shifts in my perception. Still, I was drawn to the area, felt connected in some bigger way - for those who believe in such things. I could not have accounted for how this would allow me to grow as a person. I am most astounded by how this move would allow me to grow as a writer.

Right out of the gate, I became surrounded with fellow wordsmiths. It appeared that each encounter with a new someone led to a conversation about writing. It was a sign - for those who believe in such things. It only took a glimmer of time before I was reading my own work in front of a group of women gathered for just that reason - my first true connection to people in my new home. And also the very first time I had ever shared my writing with strangers - hell, with anyone, really. It was terrific. I was hooked.

And here I am, scarcely two years later, blogging about my life and really taking a chance. I know it doesn't seem like much, these random tidbits posted about my life. But to me, to someone not accustomed to even this much openness, it is really a start. I can see already the impact it will have on my writing.

A friend mentioned to me once that in order to become the best writer, you have to write about that which most intimidates and scares you. You have to go to that space which holds the most pain, the darkest secrets, and you must explore it and unfold it onto the page. Nothing could be more terrifying. But even this small step, this blog, is enabling me to begin that journey. Because I want to be the best writer I can be. I want to be considered "a writer" - not entirely in a professional capacity, just as part of my identity.

Most importantly, I want to consider myself in that way. Maybe it is my destiny - for those who believe in such things.

1 comment:

Britt Kaufmann said...

Shoot.

I couldn't be happier to have found a writing friend who also knows sports! There aren't many of us women.

You ARE a writer. A fine one. I love listening to you read too.

bk

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.