Friday, January 14, 2011

That Would Be Weird, Huh?

You know what would be weird? Watching "The Social Network" (i.e. the "Facebook movie") while actually being on Facebook.

I did not do this. I just watched the movie to watch the movie. It made me appreciate the line uttered by the Stanford girl about Facebook being "freakishly addictive." I wish sometimes I had never even heard of Facebook, never created a profile, never uploaded a photo, never become "freakishly addicted" to this ridiculous idea.

Why? Because, to paraphrase another line in the film, "it's exhausting." Mentally and physically and emotionally. I can't pinpoint exactly why I feel like this, but I do. I would be happy to know if other people feel like this, too. They'll probably post it on Facebook if they have opinions on the matter. Then other people will just comment on those posts and there you go. Exhausting.

But, that's how it is now in the world, and I could just turn off the computer and disable the Blackberry alert tied to Facebook and be done with it. Except we all know I'm not going to do that anymore than you are going to do that. And damn Mark Zuckerburg for all that, too.

Because what would that leave, then? I would miss out on the good links and the sports trash-talking and the voyeurism and the love/hate relationship with the whole deal. I'd just have to wonder about how old acquaintances and people I don't really know are doing, where they live, what their kids look like, whether they went to lunch already, how many smileys they will put at the end of specific status updates, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Yeah, that would be...weird.

1 comment:

Sweet Pink Pill said...

it's crazy i remember when myspace was the in thing and everybody was just as addicted, now it's facebook. what's the big difference i really dont. but i seem to have a gene that makes me immune to social network and i'm the least bit antisocial. but i'm worse when it comes to facebook because since i created my account i have never been back - i've never even uploaded and i'm not facially challenged. like i said i'm just immune. on different note follow my blog at www.sweetpinkpill.blogspot.com it's new. Thank you :) i'll do the same 4 u

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.