Saturday, May 15, 2010

Meandering Day of Loveliness

Today has been just about perfect. I will herein attempt to explain why.

**When I woke up, Ol' Scotty P. had already turned on the television, which is both unheard of (since he claims to not enable my TV addiction) and terrific (precisely because of my TV addiction - which I, like any good addict, vehemently deny.) "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" was on, and I love that movie, so I cuddled up under the covers with my coffee and reveled in its delight. It occurred to me that these are the moments I could not enjoy if I were a parent, but being as I am currently only a mom to dogs, I decided to stop thinking about that and not feel guilty for things which are not my life. I knew it would be a good day right off the bat...

**It was super warm outside - perfect for a sundress and brand new brown, flowery flip-flops. I spent some time at Burnsville's Farmer's Market, buying homemade jams, farm fresh local eggs, and yummy goat cheese. I visited a produce stand for beans and potatotes and peaches, all raised right here in Yancey County. I thought of my old Saturday morning routines in Morgantown, when I would drink a big latte from Starbucks, get a manicure, and then go shopping for things I didn't need. Both are good, though different, and both are, strangely enough, totally me, and I really feel at peace doing both. Surprising and odd how that happens sometimes...

**Seeing how Ol' Scotty P. is feeling a bit under the weather, we took it easy and spent the afternoon in Asheville with my favorite Aussie Russell Crowe on the big screen in "Robin Hood." We adored it. It had just the right combination of bloody action and intriguing story, and the promise of a sequel which I desperately hope comes true. I skipped breakfast to starve myself on purpose, so I got to eat a huge bucket of delicious popcorn, too, which is always a movie bonus. (I have on numerous occasions eaten a huge bucket of popcorn on a stuffed full stomach, because I love popcorn that much. It is much more enjoyable, however, to do it when you are truly hungry. There is your free tip for the day. You're welcome.)

**After the film, we walked across the street to Cold Stone Creamery for a sweet treat. We were both briefly distracted by a case full of chocolate delights, from which we picked a good number for later tonight. Then we each ate the biggest size (Gotta Have It) of heavenly ice cream goodness on the face of the planet. (I recently had such a craving for Cold Stone that I ate a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich for lunch a few days ago. It was not a suitable substitute for Cold Stone, that's for sure. It reminded me of my Morgantown cravings and how I would drive to Cold Stone in any weather, at any time of day or night, to fetch it. I am glad I dreamt up today's plan to get my fix!) We sat outside together and had a delicious time, Scotty with his choclatey chocolate and me with my vanilla and cookie dough concoction of bliss. Nothing is a better lunch than movie theater popcorn and Cold Stone ice cream. (What am I saying? Better lunch? Hell, there is no better meal, period!!) I sure am lucky to have enjoyed that...

**Once we got home, Ol' Scotty went downstairs to wail on his guitar and find his "perfect tone" - which I guess is only slightly harder to track down than the truth about large-scale disasters. (This will make sense in a minute.) I decided it was the perfect time to engage in one of my favorite obsessions: watching 9/11 conspiracy documentaries. While I have long loved to do this, a few days ago I hit the mother load: an entire online site dedicated to top documentaries on every subject imaginable. Thankfully, a large number of these are about the 9/11 Truth Movement. Over the past two days, I have watched approximately ten of them. (Though I understand I am prone to exaggeration, this is an honest number. And I'm not even half-way through the list! Blessed, glorious internet!)

Scotty P. queried whether I had discovered the truth yet. I informed him as I will inform you: Not yet, but I think I am getting closer, and I will die trying, if necessary. He then added that, if the Powers That Be get wind of my obsession, I may very well die trying. If that is the case, then all my cynical, conspiracist musings will likely be proven true, won't they? And that will only serve to further my goal! (I do not, however, want to become a martyr for this - or any - cause. So, let's hope I don't fall to such a fate.)

Right now, I am eating a big, fat, piece of red meat (raised free range, of course) and organic broccoli, questioning the federal government's version of September 11, and watching a peaceful Chessie sleep at my feet as a curious Beagle scours the kitchen for wayward crumbs. We are all content as can be here on a rainy Saturday night, the end to a glorious day.

Life is good.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.