Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gleeks Unite!

Good golly gee do I love the show "Glee" - more than just about anything else on television right now...except for the precious few last episodes of "LOST" and the fabulous programming on HBO and Showtime. But even those wonderful shows (like "Treme" and "Nurse Jackie" and "The United States of Tara") don't combine random showtunes into their repetoires, which makes "Glee" top of the tops. Plus, Kristen Chenoweth shows up on occasion and she is my big-time singing girl crush, so there you have it and thank you very much.

After all these years of toiling in obscurity, Gleeks like me have a forum in which to unite once weekly. Fans of belting along with Broadway soundtracks, recreating elaborate dance numbers in front of bedroom mirrors, and collecting live production showbills - our time is now! Not only is this show incredibly well done and classy and filled with all kinds of modern gems and obscure classics, it's popular! Go figure. This is not something with which average Gleeks are especially familiar. (If my fellow Gleeks are anything like me, we are more alligned with, say those kids Puck was throwing into the dumpster last week...)

But no more! Even Ol' Scotty P. is a fan, although he limits his showtunes to the one-hour time slot for the show and doesn't feel the need to make it a part of his daily routine. He does not, for example, sing otherwise normal statements, like I might. (Though that could make for a very interesting addition in his line of work!) No matter. It's an awesome pop culture moment for those who love lively bursts into song, witty banter, talented performers, and top-notch writing.

I wish I could attend William McKinley High and join New Directions, too. I wish this show had been around when I attended my own dismal high school, so that my strange fascination with singing and dancing may have seemed less eccentric. (This is still a long shot. I would probably still have been the wierdo outcast - a skill which, though painful at that time has served me extraordinarily well in my adult life. Dare I say it, people may actually like me better for my differences? So, take that high school memories!) These kids are just super great and I love, love, love them as if they were really real. Is that a clear enough statement to express my obsession?

If only there were more outlets to burst into song to express ourselves - in real life, I mean. I bet communication would improve and we would all feel better. Maybe I'm onto something here. Maybe that's why I feel so happy some days, because I have sung my way through life for a while. Maybe we could all take a cue from "Glee" and break into song here and there. It would be fun and captivating to our audiences.

And if that doesn't catch on, that's okay too. I'll still be doing my little solo act here, you can count on it! And, I bet there are other Gleeks out there who can totally relate...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.