Thursday, March 5, 2009

Circular History

Everything old is new again...or something like that. Yesterday, I heard a new Offspring song on the radio. A few minutes ago, I watched a preview for "Last House on the Left." Noah Wyle is on ER tonight. What year is it anyway?

My deduction: there are really no new ideas out there. Things just go 'round and 'round. ("Like a record, baby, right round..." This ditty is being sampled on a new tune, by the way.) Leggings are a good example. I wore them in high school and when I saw them return in present day, I vowed to resist. This too failed. Check my closet for proof.

Might as well give up and roll with it. Whether it be politics, pop culture, or fashion, we can all just buckle in and ride the cycle again. I hope someday we will learn from mistakes in the past, lest we be doomed to repeat them. (For example, spandex and bodysuits. These should be relegated to the halls of West Beverly High for repeated DVD viewings of 90210, not beyond.)

But wisdom like that, too, is about as likely as Michael Jackson really going into retirement as he so claimed. It just is not the way things work, be they big or small.

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

As much as I liked him in the 80s, Michael Jackson is one "old" thing I wish wasn't coming back. (Of course, with all the plastic surgery he's had, he's literally not the same person any more, is he?) I've noticed a lot of 80s music is making a comeback through remakes as well...especially in the "teen" movies. The hubs says part of the reason is because they're trying to appeal to the parents of their target audiences as well...the now-adult 80s children. Makes sense I reckon, but after hearing some of those remakes, I'll stick to the originals thank you. :)

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.