Thursday, September 3, 2009

They Went About As Far As They Can Go

It's no secret I love 90210 - the old, vintage one, not the new, slick one. For Christmas, much to his chagrin, my husband bought me three seasons of good old 90210 on DVD. Lately, I've been pathologically addicted to Season 5, which is (in my expert opinion) the best, juiciest, most delicious season ever.

This should suprprise no one who even remotely knows me since Kelly's cocaine days are the highlight of the entire series! I could go on about this, analyzing my admiration for this season's highlights (Valerie's evil turn sleeping with Ray Pruit, Kelly burning up in that frat house fire and getting mixed up in Professor Findlay's cult of "evolution", Dylan's bad-ass trip to Mexico to rescue Erica, etc.) but I will spare you any more gory details of major plot points.

Last night, I realized there is even another reason to adore Season 5 and that would be the hidden reference to "Oklahoma!" Now, it also should surprise no one how much I adored being a part of the Parkway Playhouse's cast of "Oklahoma!" over the summer. I have only recently ceased my near-daily replay of the soundtrack on my iPod, but still admit to random snippets of the performance in my home - you could find me with a certain Beagle and Chessie singing "Farmer and the Cowman" while enjoying a little jig...

Anyhow, in a conversation between Andrea and Peter - the doc with whom she's having a not-very-secret affair while Jesse is off interviewing for judge clerkships all over the country - she mentioned casually that one potential job might take Jesse to Kansas City. In response, Peter says, "I hear everything's up to date there!"

HAH!! Who knew those 90210 writers were so savvy? Not me, I tell you - not until last night. When I heard that, I swear that I sat straight up on the couch, disturbing two snoring dogs snuggled with me, and my mouth flew wide open. Had I heard that right? Had one of my favorite shows really and truly referenced the single greatest experience of my entire life? Upon rewind, I was pleasantly reassured that, yes, it had. As if Season 5 didn't have enough highpoints, I had found one more.

It only goes to show that just when you think things couldn't get any better...you get an off-hand "Oklahoma!" comment and they do. While this might not work for everyone out there, it sure brightened my evening.

It might not take much to make me happy, but I can't apologize for that - there are 3 more discs of Season 5 to relish! Game on!!

1 comment:

Myra McCoury said...

Steph, I snatched a line of this (the one about the near-daily replays on your ipod)to put in my English paper about Oklahoma! classic

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.