Monday, January 26, 2009

Who Has Time For This? Well...

So, for me right now, it's all Steelers, all the time. I try very hard to keep it all in perspective and to relax. But then, I'm reminded of the craziness of Super Bowl Week.

As I prepared some bills and organized my files for the week, I listened to NFL Network - more specifically, the 1981 San Diego Chargers' "America's Game: The Missing Rings." Not that I'm super interested in the 1981 Chargers, but it soothes me to hear football speak in the background of my life and I did hear some interesting tidbits about Kellen Winslow. (Kellon Winslow, Sr., of course, not his "soldier" son.)

All of a sudden: Breaking News! The Steelers U.S. Airways charter flight arrived at Tampa International Airport! This is big on NFL Network. I watched live as the team, coaches, staff, managers, owners, et. al. exited the plane and boarded team buses.

Mike Tomlin was the first big-wig off the plane. He looked snazzy in a brown suit - and he did not smile. Duh. Ben Roethlisberger wore a long sleeve under a polo shirt - one of my personal favorite looks, on guys and myself. He's kind of always a bit disheveled - but not as much as Eli. He had a camcorder to capture the memories. Adam Schefter pointed it out several times.

Adam also sounded relieved, as was I, that Hines Ward moved "perfectly." (Of course, he only walked about ten steps on that bum knee, but so far, so good...) Heath Miller took the metal stairs one at a time - which struck me as odd, as he is pretty agile on the field. He looked awkward coming down. I empathize. I imagined he might be wary of taking a tumble, as I always am coming down those rickety plane steps and I'm not even broadcast live on NFL Network! I understand, Heath. Just catch the ball and run fast.

Everyone arrived safe and sound and they looked all business. Adam Schefter pointed out it was 66 degrees in Tampa and only 19 degrees in Pittsburgh, which means the Steelers are in a warmer climate now. Thanks, Adam. He talked a few minutes about how nice it likely felt to be in a warm climate because some players described Pittsburgh as "dreary" the past few days. Nah, not Pittsburgh! I shook my head because I myself, two weeks ago, traveled from cold weather to warm and sunny Florida, too. The Steelers and I aren't that different after all!

This is all pretty crazy, you know. How much pressure it must be if your plane arrival is "BREAKING NEWS!" on NFL Network. Who is sitting around watching this? Get a life people!

Except, I genuinely got excited and pressed "record" on the TiVo. And I re-watched it and will show my husband when he gets home and I guarantee he will be sincerely interested. (Not like some other gems I TiVo and make him watch, like various dog shows on Animal Planet and one memorable episode of "Meerkat Manor." He only lasted roughly thirty seconds, but still...)

Yep, it's only a game and I tell myself it will be fine, no matter what. It's great just to get to the Super Bowl, what an honor - wait, what? Deion Sanders will interview Big Ben this afternoon? Hines Ward on Total Access tonight? Well, sign me up!

Yes, people, it's going to be this kind of week, you know. And I, for one, could not be happier. Keep it coming - no detail too mundane, no stat too meaningless.

Not for me. Not this week. Not ever.

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

I'm surprised you didn't try to get tickets to the big game. Then again, the view on TV is probably better if you ask me. You see more details that way.

Good luck, Steelers.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.