Sunday, January 11, 2009

Are You Ready For Some Football?

This happened to be quite an eventful day, even though I never even left my house. I am totally exhausted and can't exactly put the right words down to address the enormity of today's events, but I must stress that my world shifted a bit. I will, then, for simplicity's sake, focus on the obvious.

The Steelers won their playoff game, which is the cause of my sheer exhaustion. To watch the game, in my world, is not a sedentary event. It requires both physical and mental energy. One must jump, pace, hide in corners, run in place, breathe heavily, order husbands to "lucky" spots in the room, high five, hug beagles, and pump fists. For roughly four hours. All the while paying close attention to field position, play-calling, the announcers' inept commentary, and referees' attempts at sabotage (of which there were several.)

So, after three games before this one, after three home teams' fall from grace, after a bad feeling in my gut all week long, the Steelers played a near-flawless football game and brought themselves within one game of a Super Bowl berth.

Unbelievable. It caps a tremendous weekend of football and a stressful season of close victories. It marks a hope to be the first franchise with six Lombardi trophies. It brings a fear of playing the Baltimore Ravens for the third time in a season, but in a good way. My head spins from the enormity of it.

Now, as for the rest of my strange and exciting day, I will have to leave that for another time. Because the Steelers' win is really and truly enough for now.

Here we go!

1 comment:

Susan M. Bell said...

And the Vikings fell by the wayside. Oh well. As they say, there's always next year.

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.