Thursday, January 8, 2009

Snowflakes of Joy

Today, it snowed. And it wasn't like the usual flurries which count for snow down here. Big, fat snowflakes fell from the sky, almost too perfectly, like what you'd expect to see in a "Peanuts" comic. It struck me as absloutely beautiful.

All my life, I've hated snowy winter. I inherited my attitude honestly from my parents, and who could blame them? In western PA, snow starts about October and in April, the dirty, ashy snowpiles on the roadsides begin to melt. Winter means treacherous roads and cancelled plans and long, cold days with no sun in sight.

But today, I realized snow can be lovely and fascinating, even. Of course, it doesn't stick on the ground for any length of time and the roads are clear and tomorrow, the weather is to be sunny and warmer.

So, today's snowfall appealed to me, knowing it would all be gone soon enough. I could appreciate and admire it. And I enjoyed a fresh look on something I've detested for so long.

It does not change my opinion on the stuff, though. There are too many Pennsylvania winters in my past for all that. Overall, snow can go.

2 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan M. Bell said...

OK, first off...you have posted three days in a row. That's different. ;-)

I myself LOVE snow. I think since I don't have the "traditional" job any more, it makes a difference. (One I get more pet sitting clients, that may change.) I've always liked the way things get so quiet and peaceful when everything is covered with the white fluffy stuff...no traffic noises, just birds here and there. It's wonderful. I think I get my love for snow and winter from being born on the first day of winter (the winter solstice) in Minnesota. It's in my blood. (Although I didn't grow up in it.)

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.