Monday, December 1, 2008

Ho, Ho, and Here We Go

After turkey and cranberries and football and shopping, it's time to hunker down and settle into the Christmas spirit. Usually, I'm annoyed by the early onslaught of Andy Williams' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" blasting through the mall in mid-November, but this year, I am ready.

And to prove it, I've made a list of holiday things I for which I can not wait:

I can't wait to give all my spare change to the Salvation Army bell ringers in front of the stores. It's a great way to feel fuzzy inside, to help out those who are less fortunate, and to unload about five pounds from my purse. Everyone wins!

I can't wait for that NFL game right before Christmas day when the sports shows have the wreaths on the front of the desks and the little trees in the shot and everyone is all festive. This year, that game will be the Steelers against the AFC powerhouse Titans. Oh boy - it will be a doozy! (And the decorations will only make it better in my mind.)

I can't wait to fight through crowds at the mall, right before the big day, when I need that one last thing. I know this sounds miserable, and in a way it kind of is. But, deep down, I love the pressure and exhileration and look of panic on my fellow shoppers' faces as we all scamble through American capitalism.

I can't wait to see the Biltmore Estate all decked out for the big day. It's fabulous and breathtaking and a true joy of living here near Asheville.

I can't wait for the frantic traveling, with all the quirks each family brings to the holiday traditions. At times, I can complain about the pace of running to and 'fro, but really, it's pretty fun.

I can't wait to spend Christmas morning with my little family in front of the fireplace and gorgeous tree. Merry times indeed!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.