Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hotlanta

We spent the weekend in Atlanta. I have never visited the "new Capital of the South" as it was so referred in the Marriott's guide to the city, so it seemed a good time for a new adventure. While I spent most of the day Friday Christmas shopping in a mall (not the biggest, grandest plan I might have had at a different time of the year, but one must prioritize...) I did get to see a bit of the city on Saturday afternoon.

Scott and I took in the Georgia Aquarium, which fulfilled quite nicely. We have come to compare all aquariums to the one in New Orleans and always hope those poor creatures escaped Katrina's wrath. Anyway, Georgia's version wasn't equal to NOLA's, but we had a grand time nonetheless and I especially enjoyed the otters - they never cease to amaze, or amuse, me.

Before a gluttenous and wonderful dinner at New York Prime, a steakhouse of top repute, we strolled around the Centennial Olympic Park, centerpiece of the 1996 Summer Games and unfortunate home to the tragic Olympic bombing. This weekend, there was outdoor ice skating and blaring Christmas music, which made me super warm and fuzzy, though I could not convince Scott to join me for a wobbly turn around the rink. There are numerous statues and tributes to the city's Olympic hosting, and an interesting "Quilt of Remembrance" for the victims of the bombing.

As this visit was totally my idea, I couldn't help but take in every detail and one of those included the homeless who hang out in the park, not as tourists to remark on the spirit of the Olympics, but as residents of the streets. It saddened me, especially at this joyous time of the year and only solidified my gratitude at the very blessed life I do indeed live. While on my way to fill my belly with too much food and drink, I couldn't help but close my eyes and savor my fortunate existence.

It's nice to visit new places to remind me of my own warm and comfortable life. Happy holidays for sure.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.