Sunday, May 14, 2017

150 Days Going Strong Continued: Volume Five

April 28, 2017 -- Day 27:

We drove to Gram and Pap's to hang out and decided to have dinner at "The Mariner" in Kittanning. This is one of our collective favorite places to eat together, and everytime we do this, we all have a super fun time. This turned out to be no exception.

April 29, 2017 -- Day 28:

We basically waited all day for the Penguins to continue their winning ways. Franco and I did a few errands in the meantime. (i.e. We went to Target. I am beginning to think we should receive a sponsorship. It might be fun to count how many adventures in these 150 days include Target. Alternatively, that could be construed as just sad.)

We were not let down, and I never even had to pick Franco up once to ensure a victory. Winning.

April 30, 2017 -- Day 29: 


Our little family spent a gorgeous day at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. Franco has waited almost a year to see Dippy the Dinosaur, and all the rest of the dinosaurs. Also, the dinosaurs. We had a lovely time on an absolutely perfect Sunday afternoon.

And we're digging....

After a thoroughly educational and fun experience, we headed for dinner at Fat Head's. Franco fell deeply in love with the black and yellow chicken wing sauce, and I felt much the same about the Hefeweizen. The sun shone, the breeze blew, and, even though we were in the Southside, we saw no one get arrested. Perfection.

May 1, 2017 -- Day 30:

The first thirty days down! I think we are all incredibly fond of this new experiment, except maybe Scotty P., who may or may not even realize this little experiment is a thing. I'd ask him, but where's the fun in that?

Franco and I decided to hang out at home, clean up, and then head out to Target. (SEE??!!)  
We made tacos and settled in to watch the Penguins clean up the Capitals in this series, making it virtually impossible for a comeback....

Only to be rudely reminded that we are talking about a Pittsburgh sports team addicted to drama. And the stinking Capitals. We lost the game and, in so doing, many of us in this house lost our minds. All in all, this day's greatest adventure may have been curtailing the already filthy language to its usual totally filthy levels. A feat not to be downplayed, to be sure.

May 2, 2017 -- Day 31:

Because of the move last year, my natural gym routine became woefully interrupted. Then, I just made a conscious decision to be rather lazy all the way around. Now, the time has come and I must remedy this situation. 

Franco and I jaunted right up to LA Fitness because of the all-important (and oh-so-coveted) Kiddo Klub. We wasted no time taking full advantage of this decision. Franco bounced right into Kiddo Klub as I did to a Zumba class. He left so incredibly happy, and thanked me for allowing him to play again in a gym environment with all the other kids. I just left sore in places I had forgotten all about.

May 3, 2017 -- Day 32:

Franco showed up for skating lessons, only to find out that ice maintenance at the rink would not allow for it. So, he and a few of his buddies settled on an hour at the playground instead. Which just about made his day. We went home, ate lunch, and headed back out for gymnastics.

Then, a well-deserved nap. Maybe for both of us. Afterward, Franco was able to play with his beloved Riley from next door, and they made the most of a spring evening in the backyard. I took old Sweet-Sweet Emma for a long walk around the neighborhood, which she handled quite well, and which helped me deal with my hockey-related stress levels.

We ordered Nick's pizza and, even though we dreaded it, we watched the Penguins. And it actually renewed all hope. They rebounded nicely, and we capped a truly good day with a truly great win.

Also, Franco made this masterpiece. And placed it on his dad's head:


                                                   Why? Because he's Franco, that's why!

May 4, 2017 -- Day 33:

May the Fourth be with you! Franco and I went to the library for the Star Wars-themed pajama story time. (It starts at 6:30 in the evening. A lot of kids wear pajamas, which is encouraged. Because they are likely on normal schedules where 6:30 PM is closer to their bed times than their nap times.) 

We had a lot of fun. When it finished, Franco attempted to teach me chess. 

                                            Bobby Fischer -- where is he? I don't know, I don't know....

Bless that child for trying, though it's totally hopeless. I'm a lost cause. He ended up playing both sides of the board himself.

May 5, 2017 -- Day 34:

Kindergarten Orientation Day! Franco felt appropriately nervous, but it faded as soon as he entered the classroom and saw some blocks. He sat right down and told us to go on. So, Scott and I left him there for his hour-long pretend class and headed upstairs for the parents' portion of the program. 

Although it did not occur to me at the time, later Scott said he had serious Big Little Lies flashbacks. And in hindsight, I don't disagree. The school is lovely, all the mothers and staff members are perfectly coiffed, the principal is young and polished, the PTA mom is peppy and hip. So. Yeah. (No one mentioned an Elivs and Audrey themed trivia night. Yet.) We are excited for Franco to begin his new journey at Markham Elementary, and feel good about all the things he can accomplish.


                            A flower in a cute little pot for Franco, courtesy of kindergarten. 
                            Hair style apparently courtesy of The Beatles, circa 1964.

Later in the afternoon, Scott and Franco rode up to Gram and Pap's for something or another to do with the dirty rotten camper. I stayed home to do my nails. (Yes I did. And I have no regrets.)

That evening, Franco and I checked out the Mt. Lebanon high school production of The Pajama Game. The high school is impressive, as was the talent on stage. We really had a great evening and the drama department deserves a full standing ovation for a job well done. Bravo.

Also, Franco took his first picture in the high school, and I told him I would put it in his senior yearbook. I reiterate: his potential knows no bounds.



May 6, 2017 -- Day 35:

It rained. ALL DAY. We ate lunch at Eat 'n Park, then strolled Giant Eagle for fruit and hockey game snacks, and then popped into the beer distributor. (After re-reading that sentence, it occurred to me that this may be the most Pittsburgh Saturday afternoon ever.)

We sat around most of the day and waited for the puck drop. Then, we went to bed bitterly disappointed and sad. The end.

**To Be Continued.....












No comments:

About Me

My photo
Steph's days are complete with little Franco/Mr. Buddy Pants, Pittsburgh Steelers football, Penguins hockey, all things WVU, cold beverages, new handbags, shoe-shopping, pups, and lots and lots of movies. And, of course, her glorious, nutty family.